Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Connectivism



How am I connected?

Even though I would be considered a “digital native” by Marc Prensky’s definition, I sure don’t feel like one. If you are over 30 and have ever witnessed the speed of a teenage textversation (not sure if I made that word up or if it’s already out there), then you probably have some sense of what I’m talking about. Here are some of the reasons I feel more like a “digital immigrant.”

1. I bought my first computer when I was 20. Prior to that, I typed all of my college papers on a word processor.
2. My first experience with the internet was in college.
3. I have never “tweeted.”
4. I just started texting within the past year and had to buy a new phone with a qwerty keypad to do so.
5. I am currently enrolled in a graduate course to “learn” about the latest technology.

Although I would classify myself as a “digital immigrant,” I have realized I am “connected.” As you can see in my knowledge network mindmap, I actually have quite a few connections. So what digital tools are facilitating my learning and how has my network changed the way I learn? The simple fact that I am responding to this question on my computer and posting it online to my blog is a perfect example of how my network has changed the way I learn. Here are some others:


1. When I am seeking information or the answer to a question, I almost always always google it. Prior to the creation of internet search engines, I would physically go to the library, use print resources, use phone books, call places for information etc. This was extremely time consuming. However, according to George Siemens, “connectivism is driven by the understanding that decisions are based on rapidly altering foundations. New information is continually being acquired and the ability to draw distinctions between important and unimportant information is vital" (Siemens, 2005, para. 24). The need to vet information found on the internet can be time consuming as well.

2. I work out of my house yet I meet regularly with colleagues. I used to do this f2f, but more often we meet through the use of conference calls and webinars. I often receive my training now through online tutorials as opposed to f2f.


3. I am attending graduate school online; I don’t think any explanation is necessary as to how the internet has changed the way I learn in this area.

Decision-making itself is a learning process. Choosing what to learn and the meaning of incoming information is seen through the lens of a shifting reality. While there is a right answer now, it may be wrong tomorrow due to alterations in the information climate affecting the decision (Siemens, 2005, para. 24). What I have learned through mapping out my connections is that my digital resources provide me an ever changing and expanding way to learn. Connectivism to me isn’t so much addressing the mental processes of how we learn, but the physical means in which we acquire knowledge.

References
Davis, C., Edmunds, E., & Kelly-Bateman, V. (2008). Connectivism. In M. Orey (Ed.), Emerging perspectives on learning, teaching, and technology.

Flash Media Program: “Timeline of the History of Learning”

Video Program: “Connectivism” George Siemens

-Amy S.

No comments:

Post a Comment